Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Another Morsel of Knowledge

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Picture Slowly Takes Shape.":

I had surmised that lawyers, as officers of the court, are to appear in public as impartial custodians of the law.

It is in court, where they are representing one side or another, that their true feelings are allowed to surface. Unless, of course, they are courting the sympathy of a jury, wherein anything goes.

The motive is winning, not necessarily justice.

*******************

It was the town solicitor who provided the wording "Officer of the Court." In response to my own contention that a solicitor's first responsibility is to the ethics of his profession.

I had not heard it described in precise wording before.

I had always known that even though employed, a lawyer's first duty is to the ethics of his profession.

My understanding is a license is necessary to practice law and a license can be withdrawn. If I am not mistaken,The Law Society of Upper Canada is the governing body that makes both decisions.

I'm not prepared to engage the argument about what represents justice in a court .. It's a much larger topic.

I'm not sure I know enough to opine.

I picked up that word from our previous solicitor. I've been dying to use it. Haven't in debate as yet.

Not sure i could keep a straight face.

It's another neat thing about being involved in municipal politics. You learn all kinds of things about people's lives and how they make a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment