Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rules Is Rules

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Purpose Of Rules":

Why would David be humiliated?You have confused me.We know what he put up with but cannot speak up

************

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Purpose Of Rules":
Normally you go into great detail. Please give us more information about what happened at last night's meeting.

*********
A meeting of Council, in public, is not the place to speak up.

David Heard had delegation status at the Meeting of Council in Committee last night. The reason for the request related to the old post office clock.

He withdrew  that purpose and started to speak of something else. He said it related to an individual who could be identified. He said he intended to be diplomatic.

I was in the chair because it was my turn.The exercise is to give Councillor's experience at presiding over a meeting.

I told David I would not allow him to speak about an individual
who could be identified. I explained the rules do not  allow it.

I stated it plainly. Perhaps brusquely. I don't think there is any other way .It has to be firm. .

Being in the chair is a serious responsibility. A meeting can quickly get out of hand. The chair must be  confident.

I don't know any other way..

If David had asked me beforehand I would have warned him what to expect.

If I embarrassed him by cutting him off  and I acknowledge I might , it would undoubtedly have been worse if I let him get into his complaint  and stir up a hornet's nest.

At least, it wasn't on camera.

David is a friend  but there was no other way to deal with  the situation.

I would have done the same thing if Moses himself  came down from the mountain with his own set of rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment