Monday, February 20, 2012

Reason Is Safer

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post ""A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside An Enigma"":

since when does a councillor have to explain which way they voted. I was under the impression that a yea or nay is all that is required.

**************

The comment is correct. A Councillor is required to cast a vote, Abstaining is not permitted. Reason is not required.

It's what the Municipal Act requires.

Sometimes I do it myself. But only when the issue is not significant.

It's been noted mine is often solitary in opposition. I ask for it to be recorded vote because, in the past, I've been accused of voting for something I didn't.

I normally state a position. I think it's important for people to know there's a different way of looking at things even if it is only one.

Only one time I recall a resolution moved and seconded and not spoken to, Itwas moved by Kean and seconded by Morris. The motion was to put a street name to the Town Hall driveway.

The intent was to change the address on town hall stationary. If a majority is secure,the argument can be withheld. If it is without merit, or reveals a mean and jealous disposition, t'were best not spoken. It can never come back to haunt.

But there is a risk. No reason given, means reason will be assumed.Maybe the wrong one.

No is an answer.

The vote last week was to authorize staff to speak plainly and honestly without fear of breaching requirement to maintain confidentiality of a closed door meeting.

No was a refusal to authorize staff to speak plainly and honestly without fear or favour.

What could be the reason for not wanting truth to be told?

A reason may not be required. It's better supplied all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment